SOLD - $1295 - One of 23,000 manufactured by Asa H. Waters in Millbury, Mass., in 1836-1844. The Model 1836 was the primary handgun of the U.S. Dragoons and Mounted Rifles during the Mexican-American War and was still in service with state militia units at the start of the Civil War (many converted to percussion in the 1850s). It is generally considered to be the best made, best performing, and most attractive of all U.S. military flintlock handguns. This example was converted to percussion. The barrel has the JH Inspector's marking on the the left side of the breach and the standard cartouches "JH" and "WAT" on the left side of the stock are very faint. The lockplate has Eagle over A. H. Waters & Co. over Milbury Mass over 1844. T Inspector's mark next to manufacturer's name. Low profile brass front sight, notch on breach for rear sight, back strap from top of pistol down back of cane style handle to butt cap. Barrel measures 8 1/2 inches long, .54 caliber, overall length is 14 inches. The action needs some work, single stage cocks back like it should but have to add a little pressure back on the hammer for the trigger to release the hammer, slight adjustment should make it work correctly. We have not removed any of the parts on the blackpowder items for inspection.